This is why I was missed my dental appointment yesterday:
Neon light causes fire that destroys Center Line store (Detroit Free Press, June 11, 2008).
It was a liquor store; the neon sign started sparking and apparently triggered the fire. Van Dyke Ave., which is eight lanes across at that point, was closed for over six hours. The smoke was impressive. By the time I was in the area (an hour after it started), you could see smoke from the I-696 freeway from a mile away. I couldn’t even see down Van Dyke because the smoke was so thick. My mom lives about two miles south, so I called her to tell her about it because I was concerned about the smoke.
Ooh, the really local paper has a story online already—with a photo: Center Line liquor store catches fire (C&G News/Warren Weekly, online June 10, 2008, probably in print June 18, 2008).
(Well, ok, it’s only part of why I missed my appointment. I apparently need a personal assistant, one who will tell me when my appointments are an hour earlier than I think they are. But had I been on time, I would’ve seen the beginning of the actual fire, so I might still have missed the appointment.)